Windows update error 80070103 is one of the most common errors which is often encountered by users while trying to install the device drivers from the Windows Update. This error code is not associated with the update of the Operating system.
This error code comes with an error message saying “Windows could not search for new updates. An error occurred while checking for new updates for your computer” or “Error(s) found: Code 80070103 Windows Update encountered an unknown error” or “Windows Update ran into a Problem.”
This error code appears when you are trying to update the driver with a lower compatibility rating than the one you have already installed on your PC.
If the device driver is not updated or not working properly then you may get this error on the system. Sometimes, there is a problem with the proxy server or internal conflict that gives rise to this issue.
If you are searching for the solutions to this error, then you are in the right place. Here, you will find all the fixes that will help you eliminate this particular problem from the system. So, go through the fixes and apply them correctly as given in this article and get rid of this error now.
Fixes for Windows Update Error 80070103
There are various fixes that you can try to fix the error code 80070103 on the system. Here, we are going to provide some of the easy and effective solutions to eliminate this error code. Let’s take a look at them now.
Fix 1 # Update the Driver
If the device driver is not working properly or has not been updated properly then you can come across this error code on the system. So, you need to update the driver.
To update the driver, follow the steps given below.
- At first, press the Windows Home button and X key together to launch the WinX Menu list and then select Device Manager.
- From the Device Manager window, find the driver on the left panel, right-click on it. After that, choose the Update Driver button to update the driver.
Once the update process is complete, restart the device and then check if the error code still appears or not.
Fix 2 # Hiding the Update
After installing the latest version of the driver on your computer, if the error code still persists, then you need to hide the driver updates in order to fix the Windows update error 80070103 on the system. The following steps will help you:
- Locate ‘This PC’ on the screen, and right-click on it to open the menu list. After that, select the Properties button.
- In the next window, select the Advanced system settings button located at the left panel.
- From the System Properties window, go to the Hardware tab and select the Device Installation Settings option.
- When the Device Installation Settings window opens, tick on the “No (your device might not work as expected)” option and then select the Save Changes button to save it.
Once you are done with these steps, reboot your computer and then check if the problem has been solved or not.
Fix 3 # Configuring Proxy Server Settings
The error code 80070103 can be caused by the incorrect configuration of the proxy server. So, you need to check if the proxy settings are correct or not. To do that, follow these instructions:
- At first, go to the Settings window.
- From the Settings window, select the Network & Internet section and then click on the Proxy tab.
- When the Proxy settings window opens, set the ‘Use setup script is’ to on. After that, put the script address that you have and then select the Save option to save the changes.
After that, close the Settings window, restart the machine and check if the error code is still there or not.
Fix 4 # Run the System File Checker Tool
Running the System File Checker (SFC) tool can help you get rid of this error from your PC. To run the SFC tool, follow these instructions:
- From the keyboard, press the Windows Home button along with the X Key to launch the Command Prompt (Admin).
- When the Command Prompt window opens, Enter SFC/scannow and then hit the Enter key to run this command.
- Once the scanning process is complete, reboot your computer and then check whether the issue is resolved or not.
Fix 5 # Disable Windows Firewall
Another effective solution is turning off the Windows Firewall from the system. To do this, follow the under-mentioned steps:
- Press the Windows key + S key to launch the Search Box. Type Control Panel and then hit the Enter key.
- When the Control Panel window opens, locate Windows Firewall, double-click on it.
- Select the Turn Windows Firewall On or Off button on the left panel from the Windows Firewall window.
- On the right of the next window, click on the Turn off Windows Firewall option from the Private Network settings and Public Network settings boxes.
Once you are done, click the OK option to save the changes. After that, reboot the PC.
We hope these fixes will help you get rid of the Windows update error 80070103 from the system. The fixes we have provided are effective and easy to implement and should fix this error quickly.
However, if you are stuck and these fixes do not work, then you should get help from an expert to eliminate this error code from your PC.