If you are not using an external pointing device, then it will be difficult for you to use your laptop without a touchpad. Do you use an HP laptop? Well, then you can encounter this HP Laptop Touchpad not working error. If you have already faced this error and want to resolve it, don’t be frustrated, you are not alone. Several users have reported against it.
Thus, in order to fix this error, try to follow this article, it will be your troubleshooting guide.
Troubleshoot HP Laptop Touchpad Not Working Error
Here are some steps, which you can utilize to resolve this matter. On that note, try to perform them, whichever is convenient for you:
Method 1: Check Mouse Settings
You can also check touchpad settings, and fix this error. On that note, let’s try out these steps:
- In order to open the mouse settings, you need to open the Start menu and type ‘Control Panel’ as well as hit Enter to navigate to the Hardware and Sound.
- Here you have to search for Mouse. You can also place a right click on the mouse icon which is situated in the notifications section and then selects Settings/Properties.
- After that, in the Mouse Properties window, you need to search for touchpad settings, which is situated at the extreme right tab next to the hardware tab. Here the name of the tab is the name of the touchpad manufacturer (Synaptic, ELAN, etc)
- Now, you need to be sure about that, the checkbox against Enable Touchpad is enabled. Next, adjust any other settings which you want to change and tap on the Apply and then tap on the Ok button to continue.
- Once you are done with the steps, you need to move your fingers to check whether it works. In some devices, if you have turned on the external mouse, then it can prevent the touchpad to perform its work.
Method 2: Use Windows Hardware Troubleshooter
The Windows troubleshooter tool will assist you to find unknown issues which you are facing with your touchpad and will provide solutions for it:
- Firstly, you need to go to the Start button, and type ‘Control Panel’ and hit Enter to continue.
- After that, you need to navigate to the System and Security and locate the Security and Maintenance.
- From that, you need to go to the Troubleshooting.
- Under the Hardware and Sound, Configure a device.
After that, you will be able to see a troubleshooting wizard will appear in which your device will start scanning for the problems and will resolve it. In case, if you won’t be able to fix this matter, try out the alternative method.
Method 3: Reinstall Touchpad Drivers
Faulty or an absent driver can also be the reason due to which you are getting this error. On that note, try to follow these steps:
- Firstly, you need to visit the official website of HP laptop and click on it.
- Here, you need to enter your model number, service tag number, or serial number in the field where you are requesting for it.
- Next, you need to choose the drivers and search for the touchpad/mouse driver for your laptop. It will be under the Mouse or Touchpad.
- After that, you need to download the latest driver and install it.
- Once you have completed the whole process, you need to restart your pc and check the status of the touchpad. This time you will be able to resolve this error, if not, then try to follow the next method.
Method 4: Update Touchpad Drivers
You can also update touchpad drivers to overcome this error. On that note, try to follow these steps:
- At first, you need to tap and hold Windows Key + R at the same time to launch the Run dialogue box.
- Next, you need to tap on the arrow which is situated next to the ‘Mice and other pointing devices’.
- Once you are done with the steps, you need to locate the touchpad and right click on the icon and choose the Properties option.
- Now, you need to tap on the Driver tab and be sure about that, the Disable button is active.
- After that, you need to tap on the Driver tab and be sure that the Disable button is active. This is to make sure that, the driver tab is active.
- Now, you need to tap on the Update Driver which is situated in the same tab and choose ‘Search automatically for updated driver software’. But in order to perform this work, you need to be connected to the Internet.
- After that, you need to follow the prompts to update touchpad drivers.
Method 5: Check BIOS Settings
You can also change the BIOS Settings, to resolve this error. On that note, try to follow these steps:
- At first, you need to shut down your PC and reboot into the BIOS. Here, you can tap on the sc, F2, F10, F12, Delete, F8 keys to enter the BIOS.
- After that, you need to check the hardware device settings and enable the touchpad if you notice that it is disabled.
- Next, you need to Exit the BIOS and reboot your PC and then move your fingers on the touchpad to check if it works or not.
If you won’t be able to resolve Hp laptop touchpad not working Windows 10, try out the next method.
Method 6: Check Physical Touchpad Switch
You can also check the physical touchpad switch to resolve this error. To perform this action, try to follow these steps:
- Firstly, you need to locate the ‘Fn’ key on the keyboard and tap on it to continue. This will be usually situated next to the ‘ctrl’ key at the bottom and will have a different color.
- While pressing the Fn key, you need to locate the Function Keys (F1 – F12).
- Now, tap on the Fn key and the touchpad Function Key at the same time to reactivate the touchpad on your laptop.
- After that, you need to move your fingers on the touchpad, to check whether it works or not. If not, then try to follow the next method.
Hopefully, using these steps, you will be able to resolve this HP Laptop Touchpad not working error. The steps which are provided in this article might appear quite difficult for you, if you are not that technically minded. In such cases, you can contact experts who can help you regarding this matter in a better way.