The iPhone error 4013 can appear whenever you try to restore the Apple device. The message that comes up when this error occurs is as follows – “iPhone can’t be restored. An unknown error occurred (4013)”.
This error mainly occurs if the lightning cable, port and the USB port has some damage. Also, when the network settings are not set properly, then this issue can crop up.
Further, if the iTunes software is not up to date, then also you might encounter this glitch. Moreover, if the Operating System is obsolete, then you can face this problem. Go through this article properly to learn the most effective solutions to solve this issue in no time.
Methods to Fix iTunes Error 4013
This is section of the article that will aid you in resolving the iPhone error 4013 in a quick and simple manner.
Fix 1: Set the iPhone Once Again
Sometimes, if the iPhone settings are not configured in a proper way, you can encounter this problem. Now, the only way to resolve this problem is to reset the iPhone. Here are the steps that you need to follow.
- First, open the iPhone then locate and tap on the ‘Settings’ option. Now, a new window with the heading ‘Settings’ will come up, in it, find and then choose the ‘General’ option.
- Once another page having the name ‘General’ appears, select the ‘Reset’ option from the bottom of the screen.
- Now, the ‘Reset’ screen will come up, where choose the option ‘Erase All Content and Settings’ option. Once a popup box appears at the lower end of the screen, tap on the ‘Erase iPhone’.
- After that, to confirm the removal action, you will have to input the password for Apple ID. As soon as you do that, all the data within the iPhone will be erased. This process takes quite some time to complete, so wait patiently.
- When all the contents within the iPhone get removed, the device will return back to the initial setup screen automatically.
- At last, configure the device according to your preference and then check if this issue is fixed or not.
As a caution, you will have to back up all the personal contents present on the iPhone, before applying this method.
Fix 2: Update the iTunes Application on Windows Machine
If the iTunes software is not up to date, then there is a huge possibility for you to encounter the error 4013. The best possible way to get rid of this problem is to perform an update to the iTunes application. For that to happen, follow the steps provided underneath.
- First, start the computer. Then, on the desktop, locate and double-click on the iTunes application. This action will launch the iTunes software.
- Now, go the menubar present at the upper portion of the iTunes window, and then locate and tap on the ‘Help’ menu. Now, a drop-down menu will appear.
- From that menu, find and then select the ‘Check for Updates’ option. As soon as you do that, the software will look automatically for any updates available or not.
- If there is an update present, follow all the instructions that appear on the window and install the updates to the machine.
- Once the update to the current version of the iTunes software is complete, reboot the computer and see if this error is fixed or not.
Fix 3: Reconfigure the Internet Settings
If the Internet settings of the iPhone are not configured properly, then this problem might crop up. If such is the case, you can configure the settings of the network on your iPhone once again to resolve this issue.
- First, unlock the iPhone then find and tap on the ‘Settings’ icon. This will open a new window that has the name ‘Settings’.
- Next, from that window, locate and select the ‘General’ option. As soon as you do that, a new page within this window having the name ‘General’ will come up.
- Within that page, go to the end of the window, and then choose the ‘Reset’ option. Now, a ‘Reset’ page will come up, in it, choose the ‘Reset Network Settings’ option.
- Now, a prompt will appear, in it, input the passcode.
- At last, tap on the ‘Reset Network Settings’ option that comes up at the bottom of the screen.
Fix 4: Power cycle the Wi-Fi Router
Sometimes, if the internet connection is slow or is not working at all, then you might meet with the iPhone error 4013. The best answer to resolve this error is to power cycle the router and then check the network connection. Follow the steps explained below.
- First, locate and then press the ‘Power’ button on the router and shut it down.
- Next, take out the power cable of the router from the wall socket. After that, remove the ‘LAN or Ethernet’ cable from the router.
- Now, wait for five to ten minutes and then reconnect the ‘Ethernet’, ‘Power’ cable of the router back into their respective places.
- Now, switch on the router and check if all the LEDs are working or not. Particularly, inspect the ‘Network’ light on the device.
- If everything seems fine, then try to update the iPhone and see whether this issue is present or not.
Fix 5: Update the Windows Operating System
If the Operating System is outdated, then due to that reason, you might face this issue. The most effective way to solve this issue is to update the Windows OS. Follow the steps below to do that.
- First, press the combination of keys ‘Windows + I’ together to open a new window that has the title ‘Settings’.
- Inside this window, there will be the setting categories specific to the Window Operating System, which can be changed if needed.
- Now, among those categories, choose the one that says ‘Update & Security’. As soon as you select that category, a new page will come up, in it, go to the left panel and choose the ‘Windows Update’ option.
- Next, move to the right side of that page and hit the ‘Check for updates’ button. Now, the Windows OS will automatically search for the update packages.
- If there are some update packages available, then that will be presented on a list and automatically downloaded.
- When the download process of all the update packages is complete, choose the ‘Reboot now’ button after the list.
- Once the computer starts up once again, before the Windows loads, the newly downloaded update packages will be installed automatically.
- At last, when the installation process of the updates are over, Windows will load and then you will see the desktop. After that, check if this error is fixed or not.
Fix 6: Inspect the Lighting Cable, Port, and USB Port
Sometimes, when the lightning cable or port gets damaged, there is a possibility for you face this glitch. The answer to solving this problem in an easy way is to check the cables and ports of the iPhone and the computer. The steps to do that are as follows:
- First, check the outer cladding of the lightning cable and see if there is any puncture present or not.
- If there is no physical damage on the lightning cable, inspect the lightning port of the iPhone and the USB port of the computer for any dirt or foreign particles.
- After that, take a lint-free cloth and cotton swab and remove the dust from the ports.
- Lastly, try to connect the iPhone on the computer and update the device to check whether this problem is resolved or not.
Fix 7: Put the iPhone into DFU Mode
If none of the fixes presented above help you to resolve this problem, then as the last resort all you can do is put the iPhone into the DFU Mode. Follow the steps given below.
- Tap on the Volume Up and then the Volume Down button.
- After that, press and hold the ‘Power’ button down until the screen of the iPhone gets black.
- Then, tap on both the ‘Side’ and ‘Volume Down’ button and keep them pressed for a few seconds.
- Then release only the ‘Side’ button but keep on holding the ‘Volume Down’ button.
- Now, the iPhone will start in the DFU mode. In this mode, the iPhone will be restored into the factory settings.
Follow the methods given above and try to fix the iPhone could not be restored error 4013. But, if the methods do not work and you are still stuck with this error, then contact an expert for better assistance.