Windows error code 80072ee2 generally occurs when the files on your device are damaged or the updates are stuck due to certain reasons.
Users mostly encounter this situation after shifting from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. It generally appears during the process of updating the Windows OS. But, some users have also faced this error while using the Windows Store.
This situation usually appears due to the incomplete installation or corrupted device drivers. Also, malware or virus can play a vital role in this.
If you also face this same error and are looking for the reliable hacks to overcome this matter, then go through this entire post. Here, we are going to provide all the necessary information about the error.
Simple Workarounds to Eradicate Windows Update Error 80072ee2
Various methods are there to remove the error code 80072ee2. But, primarily, you need to identify the faulty drivers and damaged system files. After identifying them, resolve those bad sectors respectively.
Identify the Corrupted Device Driver
At first, press the Windows key and write “Windows Update” into it and hit the Enter key.
After that, invoke the Windows Update window. Then, go to the Application tab. In this tab, locate and choose the “View Installed Update History” from the menu.
Now, you will find a list of successful and failed applications which will help you to recognize the problematic driver.
Update the Device Driver
Over time, backdated or corrupted device drivers can create a lot of issues at the time of updating the Windows. If you are using outdated device drivers and trying to install an update, you might be stuck with severe update issues.
- Firstly, click on the Start icon and initiate the Start menu. Thereafter, write “Device Manager” in the Search dialog box and press the Enter key to open the Device Manager window.
- Now, locate and choose the “Network Adapters” option from the menu. When you find this option, hit that button to expand it. Then, select the category with the device you wish to update.
- Right-click on the device and choose the option “Update Driver” from the resultant menu. Afterward, locate and select the option “Search Automatically For Updated Driver Software” button.
- If updates are available, then hit “Install Updates” button from the drop-down menu and confirm the process by tapping on the OK button twice.
Once the process is over, reboot your device and verify whether the issue has been resolved or not.
Edit the Windows Registry Files
Due to certain reasons, if the Windows Registry entries get corrupted, then you might face such Windows update error while installing the pending updates.
Firstly, press the Windows logo with the R key altogether. Then, in the Run dialog box, type “services.msc” in the Search box and tap on the OK button.
Now, in the service tab, find the “Windows Update” button. Once you find it. Right click on it and choose the Stop button from the drop-down menu.
After that, you require to stop the “Windows Update” services responsible for the Windows update error. Therefore, press the Home button along with the R key.
Then, type “C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution” into the Run dialog box and hit the Enter button. Now, you have to remove the content of this folder.
Afterward, return to the Services Console and tap on the “Windows Update” service again and hit the Start button.
Now, Again press the Windows key and R key altogether then write “regedit” in the Run dialog box to run this command. Once the Registry Editor opens, you require to navigate to the following path:
Now, you can look for the WUStatusServer and WUServer keys one by one and then tap on each of the keys. After that, choose the Delete button to remove them.
Now, return to the services console and then check whether the Windows Update Service is properly running or not.
Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter
Windows Update Troubleshooter checks all the registry entries and settings of your device. Therefore, inspect them against the requirement of the Windows update and do the required changes to resolve the problem.
However, before running the Windows Update troubleshooter, ensure that you have an administrator account.
- At first, press the Windows Home button and then in the Windows Search bar, write “troubleshoot” and hit the Enter key.
- Once you are in the troubleshoot menu, you require to select the “Windows Update” option. Then, locate the option “Run the Troubleshooter” and tap on this button to open it.
- Now, Windows Update Troubleshoot scans your entire device and looks for the internal bugs and glitches that might prevent the update process.
- Here, you might be asked that the troubleshooter needs administrator access. Therefore, you need to tap on the “Try Troubleshooting as an Administrator” option from the menu.
Note- This process needs an active internet connection for optimum result, therefore, makesure that you are connected with a strong and stable internet connection.
Remove Software Distribution
If the previous methods fail to resolve the Windows update error, then you might need to remove the Software Distribution to eliminate the Windows error.
Firstly, press the Home key along with the S key altogether in order to invoke the Search menu. Then, type “Command Prompt” into the Search menu.
Now, right-click on the top result and choose the option Run As Administrator. Once the Command Prompt window opens with the administrator rights, enter the following commands one by one and hit the Enter key after each command.
- Firstly, net stop cryptSvc
- Then, net stop wuauserv
- After that, net stop msiserver
- Lastly, net stop bits
Now, go to the Windows Update directory and remove all the updated files existing in the device.
Invoke the Run window and go to the following address: C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution. Delete everything inside the Software Distribution folder.
Now, rename the folder as SoftwareDistributionold and turn the Windows Update service back on. After that, try to execute the following command successfully.
- First command: net start cryptSvc
- Second command: net start wuauserv
- Third command: net start msiserver
- Last command: net start bits
Now, you can reboot your device and attempt to install the Windows update again. Also, you can go through the following commands respectively in the elevated command prompt.
- net stop wuauserv
- rmdir /q /s c:\windows\softwaredistribution\.
- wuauclt /detectno
In case, the Windows error is associated with the network settings, then you have to execute the following command properly.
- netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled
After performing the above steps, reboot your device to let the new settings take effect. Try to install the pending updates.
On the Whole
In the above discussion, we have briefly discussed all the reliable ways to eliminate the Windows update error 80072ee2.
Furthermore, this post will assist the non-tech savvy person to manage the problematic drivers’ error effectively. Also, this post helps to resolve the drivers’ installation-related difficulties.
If you want to know more about this Windows error, then let us know in the comment section below.