Over the years, Windows Defender did a great job in protecting our Windows devices from malware, hackers and other security threats. This Microsoft built-in security service improves a lot in the latest version of Windows 8.1 and 10. It can be considered a no.1 free antivirus program available in the market. But no matter how great a service is, it always comes with small and big drawbacks.
In the last few months, we have received many complaints from Windows users where they have to face different types of errors with their Windows Defender. That’s why today we finally decide to provide a complete guide on one of the most common but troublesome issues of Windows Defender which is Windows Defender Error Code 0x80004004.
About Windows Defender Error Code 0x80004004
Error 0x80004004 is a very complicated issue to deal with because this code does not indicate why you are getting the notification. Even though your device start showing various types of sign that you are going to face a bigger issue in the future, but these signs or symptoms are so mild that you didn’t give too much thought about it. Some of the common symptoms of Error Code 0x80004004 are:
- The system starts to freeze now and then and crash the background application automatically.
- The active program gets unresponsive frequently.
- Web pages with active browsers start to crash.
- The installation process gets stuck sometimes.
Common Causes of Error Code 0x80004004
Even though Error 0x80004004 does not help you to pinpoint the exact cause, but this notification indicates that the problem is associated with your Windows Defender program or Microsoft Security essential. Other probable reasons for this error include:
- Incomplete program installation/uninstallation
- Installed anti-virus/malware program
- Virus/Malware infection
- Bad sectors in the hard disk
- Corrupt registry files
- Un-installed updates
- Unreliable/Unsteady Internet connection
- Damaged/outdated computer drivers
Troubleshooting the Windows Defender Error Code 0x80004004
Now that we get a basic idea about which factors can trigger the error notification, now the only thing left is to fix Windows Defender Error Code 0x80004004 with some effective hacks. Even though this error code is very bothersome, but fixing the issue is very simple and basic.
This error often occurs due to minor setting issues or mistakes done by the users rather than a hardware-related problem. So some tweaks in the settings or running some built-in tools are more than enough to fix it.
Method #1: Basic Checkup
As we mentioned above, this error can occur for very silly reasons which can be solved by some basic checks. So before jumping to the complicated fixing method go through the below process:
- The first thing you need to ensure that your computer’s connection to the internet is reliable or not. Some of the functions of Windows Defender require a stable internet connection. So if you’re not connected to the internet or the connection is not stable then it will terminate the action and trigger the error notification. The best way to check the network strength will be to try to open a website or some other stuff that requires an internet connection. If you are not able to conduct any kind of internet-related stuff then rest assured, you are not facing any kind of system issue. Just change the network to fix the error.
- Many users install an additional free/ paid antivirus in their computer to protect it from security threats. Even though it is good to take extra precautions when it comes to the safety of your device, but some of these third-party security applications prevent the operation of the Windows Defender. So to make sure you are not facing the same problem. Disable the third-party security software (if you have one) from your computer. If performing this action fixes the issue then you have no other choice except to uninstall the third-party software.
- If the problem started occurring after you update your Operating System to the latest version. Then it is possible that you are getting the issue because you are trying to run the old version of Defender in the latest OS. So to fix this problem you need to go to the Windows Update Center and look for an update for your Windows Defender.
Method #2: Set Windows Defender Service to Automatic
When you try to troubleshoot something without pinpointing the exact cause, try to start with easy methods at first. When it comes to Error Code 0x80004004, the quickest and easiest method to fix the issue will be setting the defender service to automatic. To use this method:
- At first, search Cortana from the device’s home screen and once you find it right click on the option to run it as administrator.
- Now, from the Cortana window, search for Services.
- When the Service window opens, enter the correct password before clicking the Continue button.
- Next, search for the Windows Defender in the Resultant Services window and double-click on it.
- After that, change its setting from disable / manual to automatic.
Once the above changes are completed, return to the Home Page to see if the problem is fixed or not.
Method #3: Update the Drivers
Drivers are an essential part of any computer system. It helps to build strong communication between the system and programs/application. For the smooth operation of the device, it is very crucial to keep the drivers up to date.
So, if for some reason, the driver gets damaged or if you forget to update it then it can trigger the error 0x80004004 notification. In this case, you need to update the driver to fix the problem on your computer. If you don’t know how to update the driver then follow these steps:
- At first, turn on your device and then open the Start menu.
- Now type devicemgr in the search bar to find and open the Device Manager window.
- In this window, you will get a list of hardware devices which is already installed into your system. From the list, choose the device which you want to update. It is possible that you require to update more than one drive. So check all the drives one by one and update them if needed.
- To update the drive, right-click on the hardware and choose the option Update Driver from the pop-up menu one after another.
- When the confirmation window opens, click on the Yes button and confirm your action.
It can take a few minutes to update and install a driver. So wait patiently during the process and avoid doing anything else. Once all the updates are done restart the PC and check if the Windows Defender Error Code 0x80004004 issue is resolved.
Method #4: Run Troubleshooter
If you prefer to fix the problem automatically rather than going through the various manual method to fix the issue, then running the built-in Troubleshooter function will be the best option for you. This feature will scan your whole device to find the root cause of the error with just one click and also provide you possible solutions to fix the issue. So if you are interested in using this method then follow the below steps carefully:
- At first press Windows key + W keys to open the search box and then type Troubleshooter in it.
- From the search results, select the appropriate option to open the Troubleshooting window of your device.
- Next, from the Troubleshooting window select the View all option (look at the left pane) then click on the Windows Update troubleshooter button.
- Now the only thing left is to simply wait until your device displays the scan result. If the function is able to identify an issue in your computer, then follow the on-screen instructions to resolve the problem.
Method #5: Remove the junk files
Using the computer all the time leads to the accumulation of junk files. If the user doesn’t clear it on a daily or weekly basis, then those junk files start causing internal conflicts and also overload the computer’s hard disk. So, removing these junks can easily resolve the problem. Here is the complete method to remove the junk file from the Hard Disk
- At first press Windows Key + X Key to open up the menu and then select the Command Prompt (Admin) option.
- Next type “cleanmgr” and hit the Enter button to start the automatic calculation process. After the calculation, your device will show how much space you can claim back.
- Now from the given file and folder list, you can check or uncheck the files according to your needs. You can also choose the Select All option to check all the dialogue boxes occupied by the unnecessary file.
- Once you’re done, click Ok to remove all the junk files from your device and then check if the error is still there or resolved.
Hope our article gives you a clear idea about Windows Defender Error Code 0x80004004 and guides you to solve the issue in your device. But if our methods are not able to fix the issue then it is possible that you are facing some serious hardware issue. In that case, we will highly recommend contacting an expert for better guidance.