Steam Error Code 137 is the most frequent and general error that a lot of Windows system users face. Sometimes, the Steam application may freeze whenever you have multiple applications running in the background of your system.
Essentially speaking, there can be diverse reasons for this error code including corrupted Steam related registry entries, excessive startup entries, fragmented system files related to the Steam application, redundant or unnecessary applications installations, viruses or malware infection, RAM or system hardware decline and so on.
However, if you are facing this error code and wondering how to fix it. Then, don’t panic! You can easily fix Steam error code 137 by following this write-up thoroughly.
Some Effective Fixes to Resolve the Steam Error Code 137
You need to perform some easy and effective steps in order to fix the Steam error code 137 on your own. Here, in this context, we are about to explain some of the most effective troubleshooting hacks that you will surely help you out of the Steam error without any hassle. In addition, the troubleshooting process will keep the system steady and also improving the CPU cycles as well as enhancing the performance of the processor.
Way 1: Reset the TCP/IP
An incorrect Internet Protocol address or the mismanagement of the IP/TCP protocol generates the 137 Steam error code. In such a case, you need to reset the TCP/IP in order to resolve this annoying error code. To perform this action, check out the steps below:
- Press down the Windows logo key and at the same time press down the “R” key on your keyboard. This process will invoke the Run dialog box.
- Now, you need to write ‘cmd’ in the Run dialog box. Tap on the Ok button. Alternatively, you can press down the Enter key on the keyboard.
- After that, right-click on the Command Prompt. Now, you will get a pop-up menu on the screen. Select ‘Run as Administrator’ in the pop-up menu.
- After that, the admin verification window will show up on the screen. Next, enter the correct details of the login credentials in the admin verification window. This process will help you to launch the Command Prompt screen in the Admin mode.
- Now, write the command “netsh ip reset C:\resetlog.txt”. Press down the Enter key on your keyboard. This process will set up the TCP/IP as well as reset the protocols.
- This process may take some time to complete. Therefore, you need to wait until the entire process completes.
- After completing all the above-described steps, restart the system for good measure.
- This process will surely assist you to get through this error code. But, this troublesome error code may pop up again after rebooting the system. To eliminate this annoying error code permanently, it is advised to move out to the next methods given below.
Way 2: Uninstall the Web Browser and Reinstall it Again
You may encounter this error code because of the incomplete installation or damaged setup files of the web browser, whichever browser you might be using. Therefore, there is a high chance that you may confront this error code while you launch the web browser window on the system and try to access any web page. To uninstall the web browser and reinstall it again, follow the steps below:
- The foremost thing that you need to do to close all the running applications and programs in the system. Additionally, close the active web browser.
- Now, press the Windows logo key and at the same time press down the R key on your keyboard. This process will invoke the Run dialog box.
- Now, you need to write ‘Control’ in the Run dialog box. Tap on the Ok button. Alternatively, you can press down the Enter key on the keyboard.
- You will get the Control Panel window.
- Select the Programs option in the Control Panel menu.
- Now, select the Programs and Features option in the Programs menu.
- Tap on the option uninstall a program of the system.
- Now, you will get a list of applications which are installed on the system.
- After that, choose the web browser under the list of applications whatever you are using and right-click on the web browser.
- Now, you will get a pop-up window.
- Choose the Uninstall button from the pop-up window.
- Tap on the Yes button in the appeared dialog box to confirm your choice.
- This process may take a few minutes to complete. Therefore, you need to wait until the entire uninstallation process finishes.
After completing all the above-described steps, you need to install the web browser of the updated version and launch it on the system. Once done, restart the system.
Way 3: Execute the Disk Cleanup
Memory insufficiency is the most prime cause for showing this 137 Steam error code on the Windows system. However, you can easily avert the storage issue while you try to access any web page or various websites by the following steps:
- Go to the Start menu and tap on it to open.
- Write ‘disk cleanup’ in the search field of the Start menu.
- After that, you need to right-click on the Disk Clean up menu. Select the option ‘Run as Administrator’.
- Now, enter the correct details of the Admin login ID along with the Admin Password. This process will launch the Disk Cleanup window.
- After that, select the Installation drive and tap on the OK button. This process will start the disk clean up process on the system.
- This process may take a few minutes to complete. Therefore, you need to wait until the entire disk clean up process finishes.
- After completing all the above-described steps, restart the system.
Finally, you need to verify to see that the 137 Steam error code is resolved or not. In case, if the issue still persists. Then, it is advised to move out to the next troubleshooting method given below.
Way 4: Modify DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) Server
If the DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) server unable to create and connect hassle-free internet connectivity, then it becomes a prime reason that shows the Steam error 137 on the system. To modify the DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol), go through the following steps:
- Go to the Start menu and tap on it to open.
- Tap on the Control Panel option in the Start menu.
- Go to the Network and Internet and tap on it.
- After that, select the Network and Sharing Center option in the Network and Internet menu.
- Next, select the View Network Status option and tap on it.
- Tap on the Change Adapter Settings option. You may get this option in the left panel of the screen.
- After that, you need to right-click on the Local Area Connection (LAN).
- Hit the Properties option in the list of options.
- Next, you need to double-click on the TCP/IPV4. Tap on the Advanced tab.
- Go to the WINS tab. Tap on the “Use NetBIOS Settings from the DHCP Server” option in the WINS tab.
- Press the Enter key on your keyboard to confirm the process.
- After that, hit the Ok button to close the active window. After completing all the steps, restart the system.
At last, verify to see whether this annoying error code pops up on the screen or not.
Way 5: Run the System Restore
If the above-mentioned methods did not work for you, then you should try to run the system restore to fix this frequent error code 137. To perform this action, follow the steps below:
- At first, log in to the system in the Administrator mode.
- After that, go to the Start menu and tap on it to open.
- Write ‘System Restore’ in the search field of the Start menu.
- Press down the Enter key on your keyboard to launch the System Restore window.
- Select the “Recover laptop or desktop into an earlier day” option. Hit the Next button.
- Now, you need to pick the particular reason under the specific list. Tap on the Restore Point option.
- On the verification dialog box, hit the Next button and tap on the Next button again.
- Now, the System Restore process will start. Be patient and wait until the process completes.
- Once complete, restart the system for good measure.
Hopefully, these are the most effective and easiest troubleshooting hacks by which you can easily diagnose the ‘Steam Error Code 137’ within a flicker of time. Additionally, the troubleshooting process assists to avert the system from being harmed at the initial stage. Moreover, the troubleshooting hacks will be beneficial especially for the non-tech-savvy peoples. Therefore, you do not require any extra technical knowledge to execute the above-stated ways and steps.