On a Mac, if a user tries to delete a folder or try to move it to the trash, they can at times encounter an error message showing” error code 43: “The operation can’t be completed because one or more required items can’t be found”. It generally occurs due to missing or corrupted files. Besides that, if you have saved more than one file in the same name, then also you can encounter this error.
If you are facing this issue and looking for solutions to fix it quickly, you can go through this article. The fixes given here are explained in a stepwise manner for better understanding. Simply follow the steps as listed and resolve this issue in an easy manner.
Resolving Error Code 43 On Mac
Mentioned below are some effective hacks which you can use to resolve error code 43 on a Mac. Just follow the fixes down the list and fix this error in a correct manner.
Method 1: Perform Disk Utility Check
As this error generally occurs due to missing or corrupted files, you need to check for permission issues or directory corruption. For that, you can use the Disk Utility tool which can help you deal with similar driver-related issues. So, run this utility before performing any other method.
- Go to the Apple menu which is situated on the left pane of the screen. Then restart your device. Once your device restarts, press and hold the Command + R key till you see the Apple logo. Now, release the buttons as you see it.
- After that, click on Continue and click the Disk Utility option. Find the sidebar and select the disk you want to repair. Now, press the First Aid button.
- Now, tap on Run. If this reports, there are no issues with this drive then you don’t need to do anything. You can simply exit the window and move to the next section.
- If this disk check shows “overlapped extent allocation” error. It means, there are more than one files occupying the same place in the drive you are using, Well, due to this reason also you can encounter this issue. In that case, clean the corrupted file before re-locating it.
- If those are not important to you then you can freely delete those files and if the file is not important to you, then you can open the file and try to check whether it is corrupted or not.
- If your disk check suggests that your disk will fail shortly, then back up each and every file and then try to buy a new drive. You won’t be able to fix this particular drive.
- Last but not least, you can also notice that you cannot check or repair the system disk. In that case, you will get an error message showing “The underlying task reported failure”. In such cases, you can also try to take a back up of your important files and format the disk.
After that, check if this method resolves this error or not. If it persists, follow the next method.
Method 2: Reset NVRAM
NVRAM is a small amount of memory which Mac uses to store some settings and access them quickly. These settings will be stored in the NVRAM depending upon the Mac and the devices you are using with your Mac.
You can also resolve this issue by resetting the NVRAM. In order to complete the procedure, follow these steps:
- Firstly, turn off your device and turn it on again. Once your device boots up, continue with the further steps below.
- Hold down the Option, Command, P, and R keys together for about 20 seconds and you will see that your Mac is about to start.
- Once your Mac starts up, you will see some settings have been reset. It includes volume, time and date settings, or the resolution of your screen. You have to re-adjust them.
Method 3: Delete Locked Files
You can also delete some locked files to fix this issue. Try these steps:
- In the terminal, run these command:chflags -R nouchg.
- Now, open Trash and choose everything by pressing ⌘ Cmd-A and drag everything to the terminal window. Now, press the Enter button to continue.
- After that, empty your trash.
Method 4: Delete the Files that Start with the Same Name
If the previous method fails to resolve this issue, you can delete all files which starts with the same name. The process is quite simple.
- First, locate the session file on your computer and right-click on it.
- Now, select the Show Package Contents option.
- There are three folders inside this option, they are Media, Resources, and Alternatives.
- After that, in the Alternatives and Resources folders, locate a file named DisplayState.plist.
- Now, remove all the files with the same name immediately. In case, you are afraid of something might go wrong, drag these files to the desktop before you delete them to create a backup copy.
- In case you see error has been fixed after deletion, you can try to delete the backup copies freely.
- However, it is recommended to keep them for some time until you notice everything has been resolved.
So, these are the steps to delete the files starting with the same name. This is an easy fix and resolves this error quite often. However, if it fails to resolve the issue, follow the next and the last method.
Method 5: Force Quit Finder
You can also force quit Finder in order to resolve this issue. Follow these steps:
- Firstly, open the Apple menu situated in the top left corner of your Windows. Now, select the Force Quit button.
- After that, locate Finder situated in the list of applications and select the Relaunch option.
The fixes given in this article are quite effective and easy to perform. You can safely apply these fixes to effectively resolve this error. However, if the fixes do not work for you, you can connect with a tech professional for scrutinizing and fixing this and any other glitches that might be affecting your system.