It is a marvelous idea to always keep your Windows update as Microsoft is changing rapidly with their latest innovations.
However, several users have reported getting an error 0x8000ffff after they have upgraded their Windows OS to Windows 10.
This error mainly occurs while trying to purchase the apps from the Windows store where the computer cannot communicate with the update servers and ultimately results in this error.
The error code generally seems with an error note that says “the Restore point cannot be created for Catastrophic failure, error 0x8000ffff”.
So, if you are here to know how to fix this update error code, then have a look at this article till the end.
Here, we have discussed all the effective and hassle-free solutions to eliminate this error at the earliest.
Top-Notch Solutions to Fix the Update Error error 0x8000ffff on your Windows 10:
We have listed a few effective methods below to resolve 0x8000ffff Windows 10 update error.
You can go through any of them to get your PC error-free as earlier.
Method 1: Scan your PC With Windows Defender
In this kind of error code, the first move you need to take is to scan your PC with Windows Defender of the third-party antimalware software.
The malware attack stops Windows to install the updates. Hence, perform the steps listed below to perform a scan.
- Turn on the computer and tap on the Notification area on your Windows 10.
- Locate the Windows Defender option from the list and click on that.
- After that, open the Settings option and scroll down the screen until you see Windows Defender Offline option.
- Now, before proceeding to the further steps, make sure that you have saved every file as it will restart the computer.
- When the computer starts back, select the Scan Offline option from the Notification panel.
- Now, wait about an hour to complete the scan and then click on Show results to heal all the infected files.
When the scan gets completed successfully, close all the tabs and restart the computer to see if the Update error is now resolved.
If still, you are encountering this issue, you can try one more solution about which we have discussed below.
Method 2: Boot in a Safe Mode with the Networking on your Windows
In case, you have installed the drivers in an incorrect way or the driver installation is incomplete, then you can surely face the update issue on your Windows device.
Hence, we suggest you boot your Windows in Safe Mode with the networking to exclude the unnecessary drivers and processes.
Following are some of the steps we have discussed below to complete the task.
- Turn on the computer and open the Settings option from the Windows search pane or by pressing the Windows + I.
- After that, locate the Update and Security option from the right side of the screen and click on that.
- Now, select the Recovery option and click on the Restart Now option under the Advanced Startup option.
- When the PC restarts, you can see the Troubleshoot option, click on that.
- Hit a click on the Advanced option and then select the Startup Settings option from the bottom of the screen.
- At last, select the Safe mode with Networking option from the screen and wait until the task is completed.
Now, when the task is completed, restart the computer once again and see if the error code 0x8000ffff is now fixed.
If you are unable to update the software or still facing the error, go through the next solution discussed below.
Method 3: Remove the Problematic Applications from Control Panel
If you are encountering the Update error code 0x8000ffff on your Windows 10, then this might be due to the problematic apps or the third-party applications that you have installed in your device.
You need to remove all those applications to get rid of this issue. Here are some tips to complete the method, so follow them carefully.
- Turn on the computer and launch the Control Panel from the Windows Start bar or directly from the Run Command.
- When the Control Panel opens, you can see the Programs and Features option on the left side.
- Click on that option and then click on the Uninstall a Program option from the list.
- When the Application list opens on the next screen, locate the Problematic app from the list and right-click on that.
- Select the Uninstall option and wait for a couple of minutes until the task is completed.
Now, perform the same steps for all the affected applications and then simply close all the tabs when you are done.
Restart the computer and see if the Windows is now updating the installed apps correctly. If still, the issue remains, you can perform one more solution that we have discussed below.
Method 4: Perform an In-Place Upgrade on your Windows
If the above solutions fail, try performing an in-place upgrade on Windows to force upgrading it to the latest version.
To perform the method, follow the steps cited hereunder.
- At first, you need to download the Media Creation Tool from the official website of Microsoft and Install it.
- When you are done, open the application and select the Upgrade this PC now option.
- Wait until the computer prepares the necessary files and then select the Download and Install Updates option.
- Wait for the process to complete and then follow the on-screen instructions and agree on all the license.
- Now, when you reach the Ready to Install screen, select the Change What to Keep option from the top.
- After that, select the Keep personal files and Apps option from the top again and click on Next.
- Finally, follow the on-screen instructions and simply download and install the new update on your Windows.
At last, restart the computer when the installation is completed and see if the Windows is now updating the apps.
If the apps are not installing or the error code is still prompting, try the next solution discussed below.
Method 5: Clear the Cache on your Windows 10
Store caches are one of the major factors for the update error that prevents the users to update the applications.
Hence, you need to clear all the caches. Here are some steps which you need to perform to do so.
- Turn on the computer and open the Run Command from the Windows Start bar or by pressing the Windows+R.
- When the Run Command pane opens, type “wsreset.exe” into the box and tap the Enter key to open the action.
- After that, click on the OK button and this will clear all the Windows cache and cookies.
Now, see if the error code is fixed and the Windows is now updating all the applications as earlier.
After persuing the methods discussed above, you are no longer affected with the 0x8000ffff Windows 10 update error code on your PC.
Hopefully, one of these methods will help you to get back your computer error-free as earlier.
In case, the error code still remains or the methods we have discussed gets failed, feel free to get in touch with an expert.
Finally, if you got a marvelous method despite the earlier ones to fix this error, you can write that in the comment section below.