One of the most common errors which a windows user might encounter while using printers is Error 0x00000709 which says Cannot Set Default Printer on Windows.
What causes the error 0x00000709?
This error occurs when you buy a new printer and you try to set up that printer as your default printer but the windows don’t allow you to do so because of some fault in registry settings which continues to use the previous printer as your default printer.
How to resolve this issue?
In order to resolve this issue, one needs to modify the registry manually. The whole process has been explained below in few simple steps which you can do all by yourself. Even a layman will be able to make such changes.
Step 1- Backup your registry
First and the foremost thing backup your registry in case you are not able to make successful changes and something goes wrong. To do that, follow the instructions given below.
To Backup Registry
- Open the start menu
- In the search field, you have to type exe in the search field and hit enter.
- You will now see the registry editor from which you have to select the registry key that needs back up.
- Now, select the file and click Export.
- Then open the Export Registry file dialogue box.
- Select the location on which registry backup will be saved.
- Give a name to your backup and hit the option save.
To import the backed up registry
- Open registry
- Click on the file and press import.
- Make the selection of the file that was exported earlier.
Step 2: The main process of modifying the registry.
- Open the start menu
- Type regedit in the search bar
- Choose “Run as Administrator” after you right click on regedit
- After that, you will find a list of options, find HKEY_CURRENT_USER and click on it or follow the path HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Windows
- On the right side, you will find an option “device”; modify the name of your printer by right-clicking on it.
- Make sure to change just the name and not the whole part.
- If a dialogue box appears saying “cannot edit device” then need not worry, just press OK.
- Choose Windows folder from the left side by clicking right and select Permissions.
- You will find a “Full Control Box”, put a check on it.
In case, the earlier method doesn’t work then we have got you covered by providing you with another way of dealing with error 0x00000709 which is easier than the above-mentioned method.
- Click on “Start”
- Find the option “Devices and Printers” and click
- Make a right click on the name of your current printer and select “see what’s printing“.
- Then, Choose “open as administrator” and hit “set as default printer”.
- In some cases, you might not see the option of “open as administrator” as it may have already opened.
We hope that these methods were of some use to you and you are able to solve the common issue of Error 0x00000709.